Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Keepin' it blue and Upper Deck too

Obviously with the news yesterday, before I get to my post as planned, I want to take a couple moments to share in my memories of Roy Halladay. Tragic to have lost his life at a mere 40 from a plane crash yesterday.

Roy had many great seasons with Toronto, and as sad as it was to see him go to Philly, why, I could understand. A sure first ballot Hall of Famer in my very biased opinion, he had a great career, and from all accounts, was an all around great guy too. He will be missed.

With that sad news discussed, let me go to Thanksgiving baseball cards....Upper Deck time...circa 1990...not a ton of cards that survived given the condition - maybe about 60, but still some needs filled.


OK, so I didn't need these (or the 4 Olerud rookies, three more just like the one above), but still nice.


Error cards - Bo knows errors...


My favourite of the bunch. I like the 9 card Reggie insert set, and getting these three moves me up to 7 of the 9. One of these days, I will look for the last couple just to cover this one off.

Then there were the need cards for the set. I had about 500 of the 800 cards, so nice to still be able to add almost 20 more.


So, a heavy Mets influence obviously, but also nice to get some of the stats of the set out of the way such as Bo, Cal, Matt, Joe and Nolan.

Not bad for free cards....added about 40 dupes of good enough quality too.

Another nice pick up which I don't have a pic for just yet because I can't scan them are a couple 1997-98 Pinnacle Inside unopened cans. Not sure if cans were used in any other hockey card packaging, but these are awesome. I won two on Listia and ended up with a New York Ranger can, and a Pittsburgh Penguin can. Other than Leaf, Penguin would have been my number two hope.

I need to show a pic, so let me just link you to a picture on Tradingcarddb.com. I believe Pinnacle did this for baseball and football too (I need a baseball one!). Just awesome, and brings my total unopened packs products between baseball, hockey and Magic boosters to a few short of 500. Seems like a lot, but really not that much if you consider how many different sets are released these days.

As for the Santa Lot today....

Highlight:

A number more of the 2008-09 Retro parallels, happily including a new Leaf card for me as well. Blue on blue - can't beat that design.

Another 2008 National Baseball Card day card as well, except out of Topps this time instead of Upper Deck. I think I prefer the Upper Deck design instead of Topps which just used it's base design and added the Card Day logo.

The rest
Keepers:

This is the first subset Marquee Rookie from this O Pee Chee set I have picked up. I like the general consistencies with the base set design, a little too much brown/bronze colour in generally for my liking though.

Traders:


Another YuGiOh card - that makes 3 so far. Keep this up, I may have a deck..or atleast a hand of cards...still not going to play though.  Another one or two new to me 2007 Topps cards. I should take a look soon at the "what's left" to see if completion is somewhat near on the set.

Through 9860 cards:
Specific Accomplishments:
- Complete 2003-04 SP Authentic Basketball (90 card pure base)
- Complete 2005 Upper Deck Classics (100 card pure base)
- 3 Complete 2007-08 UD McDonald's Hockey Checklist Subsets (6 cards)
- 1973-74 O-Pee-Chee Hockey #30 Bobby Orr (All-Star)
- 2004-05 Upper Deck Legends Classics Platinum #64 Marcel Dionne Platinum 06/10
- 2007-08 Topps Base and 1957-58 Variations Basketball  #112 Kevin Durant (Rookie)
- 2009-10 Topps #321 Stephen Curry (Rookie)
Hockey Baseball Basketball Football Austin Powers Other
Toronto 158 19
Inserts / Var Kept 334 48
Error 16 2
Keep 1930 299
Doubles/Sell 1568 218 1517 2964 297 36
Doubles Inserts / Var 118 3 123 210

No comments:

Post a Comment