Thursday, February 2, 2017

A Fedorov by any other name...

Before the Santa Lot 30 today, a quick trade I made with p_dawg68 over at TCDB. This provided me with a quick Leaf team set  as well as one card closer for a set I am slowly looking to complete...

Love the Johnson and Domi cards from the set, but the design with the blue accents make the cards look so nice. Also - the only time a Montreal card is a good thing - for set completion.

Sometimes I can understand, it can be hard to ensure everything is spelled right when putting together a set. It must take a number of people to review and review again, the write ups, etc for a card set. That said, names can be trick and unconventional, so it is likely and expected that here and there, a spelling error can occur for someone's name.

Highlight:

Here is such an error from 1991-92 Topps hockey. A super rookie (I'd say), so you would expect they would be able to spell his name right, but apparently, not so much. That said, curious that the back had the right spelling though, so someone just missed the boat on it. Given the error, it will go to my error binder of cards - though it can be noted, this one was not corrected.

The rest
Keepers:

A lonely sole as only one other keeper. Scott Gomez was a good solid hand on defense for New Jersey - Toronto could have used the extra defensive hand at the time...

Traders:

Base cards of Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh....nicer still are the two 1957-58 variations from the set. As I am moving on in completion of the set, I took a quick look online to see what a set of the variation cards would go for, and they seem to be on ebay for about $50 US including shipping costs. I look more for own interest in what kind of value I got in the Santa Lot pickup, but nice to know that it is another way in which I got my money's worth on this pickup...assuming I do in fact complete it. I have already picked up the Bryant and Durant cards so it isn't like the big cards have been gleamed out...LeBron is the last big one missing I think. I guess only time will tell. If anyone does have an interest on this subset ahead of me completing it and want "dibs", just let me know.

Through 6400 cards:
Specific Accomplishments:
- Complete 2003-04 SP Authentic Basketball (90 card pure base)
- 3 Complete 2007-08 UD McDonald's Hockey Checklist Subsets (6 cards)
- 1973-74 O-Pee-Chee Hockey #30 Bobby Orr (All-Star)
- 2004-05 Upper Deck Legends Classics Platinum Hockey #64 Marcel Dionne 06/10
- 2007-08 Topps 1957-58 Variations Basketball  #112 Kevin Durant (Rookie)
Hockey Baseball Basketball Football Austin Powers Other
Toronto 105 9
Inserts / Var Kept 212 28
Error 15 2
Keep 1376 201
Doubles/Sell 814 86 1130 1896 250 26
Doubles Inserts / Var 75 1 76 98

No comments:

Post a Comment