Monday, November 7, 2016

Let's discuss base a bit more

Before I get too into things here, first a thought...originally I figured I would keep "one of everything" when it comes to baseball and hockey with the intention that, if I get enough, I would go for complete sets based on this collection. I find this puts more emphasis on "the rest" of baseball and hockey cards, instead of really focusing on what I "want" to collect being Jays, Leafs, insert/parallels and error type cards. So, if the opportunity comes up, I will trade cards from my collection that don't "fit" my true collection goal.

Why do I bring this up? Well, the Santa Lot has brought up a number of O Pee Chee cards - specifically I am thinking about 2008-09 O Pee Chee, and a lot had been new to me, so noted as keepers. However, I had a good trade opportunity to get many a Jay and Leaf card which I jumped at.

So - if you see keep cards that were keep cards before, it may be that this is what happened to the original card. For purposes of the Santa Lot, both will be counted as "Keeps" which may skew the numbers a bit, but hey, I am not tracking if each card I trade came from this buy or not...that is too much detail even for me...

Just thought I'd give a reason why you might see it - you are not going crazy, just consider the "Keeps" as keeping because I don't have it right now.

Highlights:

Following the same theme as the Santa Lot 20 from last Friday, I had to put these new Pro Set Platinum adds from 1991-92. Another great (to me) base set, at least in the front photo presentation. It could benefit from a name overlay, but otherwise, the full photo base set is great. I may not be a huge fan of the backs due to the lack of stats, but I can live with it given the great full photo fronts.

The rest
Keepers:

Almost full front photos for 1992-93 Upper Deck, and the add of stats on the back differentiate the set from the Pro Set Platinum set outlined above. A "lighter" look with the white border and background colour compared to the black of Pro Set Platinum, again I can appreciate the base set, but what losses it a bit for me is that upper deck sets around this time were fairly similar, so it doesn't feel "different".

Traders:


Through 4780 cards:
Specific Accomplishments:
- Complete 2003-04 SP Authentic Basketball (90 card pure base)
- 2 Complete 2007-08 UD McDonald's Hockey Checklist Subsets (6 cards)
- 1973-74 O-Pee-Chee Hockey #30 Bobby Orr (All-Star)
- 2004-05 Upper Deck Legends Classics Platinum Hockey #64 Marcel Dionne 06/10
- 2007-08 Topps 1957-58 Variations Basketball  #112 Kevin Durant (Rookie)
Hockey Baseball Basketball Football Austin Powers Other
Toronto 90 8
Inserts / Var Kept 142 24
Error 11 1
Keep 1191 144
Doubles/Sell 583 28 989 1128 239 22
Doubles Inserts / Var 56 1 60 63

No comments:

Post a Comment