Friday, July 29, 2016

Eli-Eli-oh!

Last baseball Listia win batch of cards to review today. I picked this one up for the three Jays cards in the lot, didn't really pay much mind to the remaining cards, but I should have. It wasn't until I was entering them when I realized the Skybox cards (which I had never seen before) were two apparent short prints (according to TCDB) which have an interesting background haze effect going on and one parallel to the set which is the Ruby coloured one. So getting 6 real keepers for collections out of 16 cards works in my books!

Highlights:


The rest
Keepers:

The gold border of the Topps set - I'm glad was moved to a parallel design in later years, it just isn't needed on a base card. Also, the 2005 Bowman is a decent basic design - I generally don't like/appreciate Bowman designs, but this one I can take.

Traders:

These just aren't my "thing". I can appreciate that there are people out there that collect minor league cards, especially of people that went on to be stars, but it just isn't for me. In some ways, it just casts the collecting next way to far. Besides, I don't mind a solid base set, but when a card is numbered 2476, that's just ridiculous - oh, and don't worry baseball's 2008 Upper Deck Documentary series - you are unique and it should stay that way....

A couple posts ago, we had a nice McNabb football serial numbered insert. Today we get another card from the same insert set, but this one is of the gold variety - so numbered to only 400 - but also of a better (my opinion) player.

Highlights:


It probably stinks for Eli that at any family gathering, he still isn't the best quarterback at the table, but it does seem like he and Peyton have a good relationship,  so it could be worse I guess.


Three new cards for the 2005 Classics set will be an highlight, as will the nice 2008-09 O Pee Chee insert. Again, have to mention the pictures on the Cliassics cards - so nice with the black and white kept in tact.

The rest
Keepers:

No offense to Joe Thornton who we saw not long ago on the other 2007-08 Upper Deck checklist, but Malkin is a step better (again, to me anyway) but both are nice with the multi photo fronts.

Traders:

Best of the rest will be the additional McDonalds cards - some nice traders for anyone interested!

Through 3360 cards:
Specific Accomplishments:
- Complete 2007-08 UD McDonald's Checklist Subset (6 cards)
Hockey Baseball Basketball Football Austin Powers Other
Toronto 68 5
Inserts / Var Kept 105 7
Error 11 1
Keep 875 99
Doubles/Sell 316 17 686 805 231 19
Doubles Inserts / Var 25 1 42 47

3 comments:

  1. If I'm going to get minor league cards, I'd just go for the affiliates of the Jays and Expos.

    Speaking of which.. Nice Expos cards at the lead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the baseball set is like the basketball set of the same design, the Star Ruby cards fell less than one per box.

    ReplyDelete