Tuesday, December 8, 2015

A reminder...I keep getting older...

Welcome back as we continue our way through the massive pile of Jays cards from Tigerfan22...

When I first started collecting card in the late 80s, early 90s, I remember the first pile of cards I ever had were 1984 O-Pee-Chee cards (which I later traded for a much larger amount of 1991 Donruss - a trade I would never make again, but since I was only 12 at the time, I'll let it go...eventually)

Somehow though, I never had many cards 1986-1988 so getting a number of cards from this era is a nice touch to completing the team sets now.

I remember when Glenallen Hill started I remember there being fairly high hopes he would turn out to be a bigger star then he did, but it would have been interesting had he spent more of his career in Toronto.




















Another one I feel similarly about is Cecil Fielder. Given the good years he ended up having in Detroit, would have been interesting to see if he would have had the same success in Toronto those years, and what kind of impact that would have had on the Jays record those years. This 1987 Fleer Update is also my first such card - already 20% of the way there on the team set!


1987 also saw George Bell continue his string of great seasons in Toronto, coming off his first 100+ RBIs season in 1986.





















Although Todd Stottlemyre started with the Jays in 1988, I will always remember him year later for his colourful retort to the mayor of Philadelphia, as well as the horrible slide into 3rd during the world series that had his chin bleed something good...




















The following card helps remind me just how long ago 1988 was, because I can't remember David Wells looking this young...also, I always found in interesting when you end up with the "double emblem" on the card - just the way the Jay logo on the jacket, and that in the corner are so close - seems a bit redundant.




















The package also filled plenty of base cards that were missing from sets, and a few others like the following...






Next time we will get into the 90s....



2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. One of those guys that definitely looked young compared to his later cards - and you can see a bit of Prince in that picture.

      Delete